The Bending Spoons EmployAbility Computer Science Scholarship
About The Bending Spoons EmployAbility Computer Science Scholarship
Technology is synonymous with progress. Yet those who have a disability, neurodivergence, mental health, or other long-term health condition encounter many obstacles to establishing a successful career in tech. That’s why we are so excited to be working with Bending Spoons on this scholarship, as part of their commitment to help and inspire students on their journey into the tech industry.
Bending Spoons is one of Europe’s leading tech companies. Giving back is at the heart of the Bending Spoons’ mission, and the company strives to deliver products and opportunities that help others. Adamant that a career in tech should be for anyone, Bending Spoons is committed to making the path into the industry a little more accessible.
Who can apply?
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have a disability, mental health or long term health condition (which includes dyslexia, dyspraxia, visual impairment, hearing impairment, diabetes, epilepsy, depression, anxiety disorders, and any other physical or mental impairments or health conditions)
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a student in a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD program at an accredited university in Europe for the 2023-2024 academic year
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, informatics, or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Have a clear passion for computer science
Applicants will be asked to complete an online application through EmployAbility which includes:
- General background information (e.g. contact information and details about your current and intended universities)
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- One letter of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to a series of questions about your passion for and ability in computer science
Recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their essays and application materials compared to the entire applicant pool. Please ensure that your chosen referees are aware of your application and are ready to supply you with the reference.
Passion for Computer Science
We would like to know a bit about you and your passion for computer science.
- Why is studying computer science important to you? (150-200 words)
- Are there any specific topics within computer science that interest/excite you, and why? (150-200 words)
- What do you hope to accomplish with your degree/knowledge? (150-200 words)
We would like to ask you questions about a technical project you have been involved in or a piece of research that you undertook, where your contribution and involvement was key to its success.
When answering the questions, please remember that the Computer Science professional reviewing your application may not share the same technical expertise or knowledge of your particular research field. Therefore, please make sure to explain all technical terms and processes accordingly.
Any evidence to support or to help illustrate your essay (e.g. graphs, diagrams, algorithms, sections of code etc.) can be uploaded in the ‘supporting documents’ section, for all such items please include the name of your evidence in square brackets in the appropriate place in your answer, for example [Mygraph1].
- What was the problem your project or research was trying to solve? (100-150 words)
- Was this done as part of your university studies, an internship/work experience or was it a personal project?
- What was your solution to the project or research? (100-150 words)
- What were the technical problems that you encountered? (100-150 words)
- What was the outcome of your project/ learning from the project? (100-150 words)
- Was this a solo project or were you working as part of a group? If it was a group project, please state your personal involvement in the project. (50 words)
- Do you consider this project technically challenging, innovative or both? Briefly explain why. (100-150 words)
How to apply
Should you wish to discuss any aspect of the application process with EmployAbility, including mitigating circumstances which have affected your academic and/or work experiences, please contact us at email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: Sunday, 29 January, 2023 at 11:59 PM GMT
Terms and conditions
The Bending Spoons EmployAbility Computer Science Scholarship is open to qualified students who meet the eligibility criteria. Disabled and neurodivergent students interested in computer science are strongly encouraged to apply. The intention of the scholarship award is that it be spent on tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the students’ classes at their primary university. Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as students for the 2023-2024 academic year. Enrollment will be verified after the winners are selected, and all scholarship payments will be made directly by Bending Spoons to the student to be used towards tuition and education-related expenses. We will withhold the award funds for any scholar who no longer meets the eligibility requirements and revoke the award for any scholar who does not maintain the eligibility requirements. Selected recipients will receive instructions from Bending Spoons on the process for receiving the award funds. Failure to complete these steps by the specified deadline will disqualify recipients from receiving the award. Bending Spoons employees are not eligible to apply for Bending Spoons scholarships. Persons who are (1) residents of embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily resident in embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not apply for this scholarship.
We run first year, internship, and graduate programmes, as well as vacation schemes and training contract opportunities, with our inclusive employer partners. Applying through us, you can be confident that you will be competing on a level playing field, and be provided with full support. You can also benefit from our employer insight days and skills workshops to maximise your chances of success.
Get in touch to find out how EmployAbility can help. Students and graduates can take advantage of our service for free by registering with us.