Bank of America Merrill Lynch EmployAbility Summer Internship Programme 2015, Global Markets
Penultimate year students, finalists and graduates of any degree discipline
Midnight, Sunday, 30 November 2014
EmployAbility is delighted to be working with Bank of America Merrill Lynch to offer disabled students and graduates the opportunity to apply for the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Summer Internship programme.
Bank of America is one of the world's leading financial institutions, serving individual consumers, small- and middle-market businesses, large corporations and governments with a full range of financial and risk management products and services. Bank of America Merrill Lynch is the marketing name for the global banking and markets businesses. The company has had a presence in EMEA since 1922. With offices in 23 countries on three continents, it offers an integrated and comprehensive set of products and services across Global Corporate and Investment Banking, Global Markets and Consumer Card, serving the needs of individual, corporate, institutional and government clients, combining the best of local knowledge and global expertise. Developing solutions for social and environmental challenges is at the core of Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s responsibility platform. In more than 90 countries around the world, they partner with employees, clients and stakeholders to help make financial lives better.
Why Diversity Is Important
Bank of America Merrill Lynch encourages a diverse, inclusive workplace. This gives them the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of their diverse clients and shareholders, and provides fresh ideas and perspectives, which promote ingenuity. The company respects and values not only differences related to age, marital or civil partnership status, ethnicity, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation, but also diversity of viewpoint, experience, talents and ideas. They strive to empower all employees to excel on the job and reach their full potential, and reward and recognise individuals based on performance and results.
Summer Internship Programme, Global Markets Division
At Bank of America Merrill Lynch, they’ll match your drive and ambition to where you can make a real impact.
As one of the world’s largest financial institutions, their global connections allow you to create a career on your own terms.
An internship or placement is your opportunity to gain an insight into working life at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, to network with the company’s employees and to develop your skills. You’ll work alongside employees of all levels and have an opportunity to participate in project work with the potential for measurable impact on our business. By joining Bank of America Merrill Lynch, you’ll also receive the highest level of training and mentoring support.
Running for nine weeks between June and August, a summer internship will give you a thorough introduction to the financial services industry. The programme begins with an induction week covering core skills, and you will be assigned a mentor and a buddy who will help you to make the most of your orientation and training. There will also be plenty of networking opportunities and a speaker series, giving you the chance to meet a range of employees from new starters to seasoned senior executives.
Global Markets delivers a wide range of securities products and services, powerful sales and trading capabilities and deep risk management expertise across asset classes. Closely aligned with Global Corporate & Investment Banking's client-managed groups, Global Markets product specialists anticipate and meet the needs of more than 3,000 institutional investors and 7,000 issuer clients.
Leveraging their local relationships and broad global capabilities, they provide their clients with creative and innovative ideas and market insights, trading services, analytics and new products across a broad spectrum of asset classes. These range from interest rate and credit products, foreign exchange, real estate and commodities to cash equities and equity-linked products - all with the goal of enabling their clients to maximise their performance.
Opportunities are available in sales, trading and structuring and based on the team you join, your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the sales force in their daily activities
- Gaining exposure to client relationship management
- Preparing marketing material and working on client presentations
- Exploring sales leads through market and company research
- Delivering analytical projects around client profitability and market trends
- Supporting traders in their daily activities
- Shadowing senior members of the team and undertaking mock trading as a hands-on approach to learning the basics of risk management and market making
- Analysing client and market data to help develop and execute trades
- Building relationships, knowledge and experience to aid your career development
- Supporting structurers in their daily activities, such as the pricing and handling of requests from Sales and/or Trading
- Undertaking due diligence, financial analysis and economic research on potential and existing clients and regions
- Preparing pitch books and presentations to market trade ideas to clients
- Understanding the cross-asset interplay of structuring solutions through relationship building with the key stakeholders (Sales, Trading, Credit, Risk)
The programme is designed to help you decide whether Bank of America Merrill Lynch's offer matches your aspirations and includes:
- One week induction and training programme with classroom instruction
- Summer Senior Speaker Series, featuring global & divisional presentations by top executives
- Opportunities to interact with senior bankers and network with peers
- Constructive feedback sessions through performance evaluations
- Strong A-level grades and on track for a minimum 2:1 degree (or equivalent), however, please speak to EmployAbility if you have extenuating circumstances that have affected your academic performance.
- Ability to grasp a wide variety of products and to handle more projects simultaneously
- Applications are accepted from a diverse range of degree disciplines such as the arts and humanities, as well as numerically focused subjects such as economics and mathematics
- Fluency in English is essential and a second European language may also be required for some roles
- You'll need to demonstrate drive, innovation and a genuine interest in the financial markets, for example trading on your own private account
- Team-working, leadership and problem-solving skills, plus creativity are key qualities, as is the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and interact with a variety of people
Bank of America Merrill Lynch is offering summer internships across a variety of divisions. Other divisions include:
- Credit Risk Management
- Global Corporate and Investment Banking (GCIB)
- Global Loan Products
- Global Transaction Services
- Global Markets Technology & Operations
- Global Information Security
- Global Research
- Technology Infrastructure
How To Apply
Candidates apply through EmployAbility's online application process, but each applicant is assessed against Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s core competencies and selected through the Bank of America Merrill Lynch recruitment process. Successful candidates are hired directly onto Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s Summer Internship programme within a specific division and participate in every aspect of that division’s Internship programme.
Please note that candidates can only submit one application:
- To apply online to the Bank of America Merrill Lynch EmployAbility Global Markets Summer Internship programme, please click on the 'apply now' button at the bottom of this page.
- To apply to an internship in any other division, please click above on the division of your choice. You will be directed to the relevant page.
Although application deadlines are in place, candidates are advised to apply early as Bank of America Merrill Lynch recruit on an on-going basis.
If you have any extenuating circumstances or require further information about the Internship programme, please contact Sarah Denness on +44 (0)7852 764684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This programme is now closed for applications.