Barclays’ vision for Diversity and Inclusion is based on their model ‘Success Through Inclusion’.
As part of this strategy Barclays recruits, develops and promotes people on merit, and rewards outstanding performance, regardless of background.
To this end, Barclays engaged EmployAbility to work with them in a number of different ways. Over several years EmployAbility worked to attract successful disabled undergraduates/ graduates for both their Summer Internship and Graduate programmes, both of which were fully integrated into their own programmes. EmployAbility supported them in the following ways on this and other projects:
- Marketing Barclays as a ‘disability inclusive employer’
- Using their expertise to select high calibre disabled undergraduates/ graduates suitable to Barclays’ business
- Educating their staff through Disability Awareness and other briefing sessions
- Advising them on adjustments required during the recruitment processes and once a disabled person is in the workplace
- Providing tailored consultancy advice and being on hand to answer any of their disability and employment related issues
Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe, Group Head of Diversity, Barclays PLC, said in October 2008:
EmployAbility’s work has proved invaluable to the success of our project.
EmployAbility is noteworthy for:
- Provision of a consistently high quality level of service
- Innovative approach
- Willingness to explore new ideas and new ways of working
- Enthusiasm in working with the business, Human Resources professionals and the candidates
- Speed and efficiency in execution
- Positive attitude to problem solving
I would not hesitate to recommend them and their expert knowledge of the disability and employment market to any business seeking to become a more disability inclusive employer.